/

Mother, 21, ‘Almost Dies’ Later Giving Delivery Following Placenta Poisoning

Mother, Katie Shirley, of Manchester has said she “nearly died” following an infection caught during her pregnancy.

The new mum was poisoned by her own placenta later it became infected with a harmful germ.

The doctor’s told her she was fortunate to be alive after she had a stroke in her bathroom seven weeks after giving delivery to her daughter, Olivia.

The bug began her bloodstream during pregnancy, which gradually moved towards the brain, triggering an aneurysm.

She experienced emergency surgery in a bid to reduce the pressure raising upon her brain, which led to the bulging blood vessel rupturing and making a stroke.

According to the NHS, two in five people fall after contracting a subarachnoid hemorrhage, the type that Katie underwent from.

She spent two days in intensive care and an additional six days in hospital after the doctor’s sufficiently reduced the pressure on her brain.

The mother-of-two, who considers herself “lucky to be alive” said: “I had a normal pregnancy aside from having anemia but when I got to 36 weeks I started bleeding heavily.”

“My mum Caroline was at my side regularly and thankfully doctors realized I required an emergency C-section as my baby was in danger.”

“Olivia was born two-and-a-half weeks beginning on December 7, 2018, and she was treated for germs as my placenta had already decayed.”

This was only the beginning of Katie’s ordeal, though.

“I remember sensing as though I was going to have a panic attack, my heart was racing and I felt all of my sense heightening,” Katie stated, speaking about her struggle.

“It was terrifying but before I knew it the room had gone black and I was motionless.”

“After this doctors eventually realized something sinister was going on, I’m just so grateful to my mum as at one point, after my first seizure, I was being told to go home before we pushed for the first CT scan which revealed the aneurysm.”

The woman gave her thanks for the NHS, which she said she was “very grateful” for.

She wanted to tell her tale in order to highlight some of the lesser-known situations that new mums can go through.

According to the NHS, indications to look out for can include:

  • a sudden agonizing headache – it’s been reported as a “thunderclap headache”, comparable to a sudden hit on the head, occurring in a blinding pain unlike anything encountered before
  • a stiff neck
  • sickness and vomiting
  • pain on staring at the light

Half of those who endure the same type of hemorrhage Katie did are left with critical brain damage or disability as a result.

AMAN8998
Hello Readers! My name is Aman. I love to read and write the latest news and talks of the world. Writing is something that keeps you updated all the time. My hobbies include badminton, running, yoga and meditation.